Monday 17 March 2014

On The Edge Of My Seat

I actually wrote a much better post but useless blogger didn't save it, after I saved it, so forgive me as this post is not as good as the first post.

Sorry I've been away, I've been watching TV and not in a slobbish way.

I know some people don't watch a lot of TV, maybe the odd the show or that one series that they like but no much. This post is for those people or maybe just to convince TV lovers that there are some shows you may be missing. I've only selected a few series and where you can watch them because I think these shows stand out.

I was annoyed I missed the first series when it first started on BBC2 so when it started up again, I was hooked from the first 10 minutes. I didn't know the characters but I was involved with the story, it didn't matter, I got to know them better as episodes when on. The characters in this TV drama, about a police division who work on police corruption and solve crimes too, are not like other police dramas. The characters are well written and compelling without the usual over dramatised issues or the the annoying little added quirks to make them stand out, this drama series doesn't need that. The added Keeley Hawes as DC Denten, caught in the middle of an ambush where a protected witness and four policemen are killed. I really like Hawes, she's playing out of character in this series and it suites her so well. This series had me literally on the edge of my seat. There is only one more episode to go, all the tension and intrigue ends then.

You can catch up with the series on BBC iPlayer.


I think I was mourning the loss of my beloved 30 Rock when Andy Samberg and Brooklyn Nine-Nine came along. To be honest I thought it was going to be a run of the mile comedy but hell no. My friend said it was like a replacement for 30 Rock and he is right. All the characters are funny. Only one or two of them look funny but the rest of the humour lies with the delivery and personalities, just like 30 Rock. At least, this is how I've interpreted it. Set in a police precinct in Brooklyn, the show is about the detective team and all the crimes they deal with, as well as other major things in life, such as tasting all the pies in Brooklyn determining the best and trying to steal a prized medal from the Captain as part of a bet. I love this show and it is definitely one of the best comedies on TV right now.  It is, and rightly so, a Golden Globe winning show. The writing is pitch perfect. Unlike the dramas I mentioned, this had me on the edge of my seat, well off my seat as it made me laugh so much.

Although in US its on a major network, in the UK its an import on good old E4 but don't be deterred by this channel its not just a sitcom, its a comedy series, higher status.


I don't know anyone who watches this show or if they we've never discussed it. Its so damn good. This is another show that had me on the edge of my seat every episode. No cliffhangers really but that ominous feeling of dread or hope. A US TV series, set in the 80s, about KGB agents/spies who live in America pretending to be American, even the children don't know. The show, in turn, makes both sides, Russian and American, the villains and the good guys, sometimes at the same time. As well as having to do their jobs at agents, The Jennings, have to deal with their forced marriage that has slowly over the years become more than a partnership and having to hide their secrets from their children. The second series has picked up a few months after the amazing cliffhanger at the end of season 1, it didn't have a slow settle in either, it hit the ground running with a horrific and shocking end to the first episode. Truly brilliant.

Season 1 is out in DVD and Season 2 has just started on ITV in UK. In the US its on the cable network FX.

A little known explosive TV series that I read about on a random website about TV shows to look out for. This was a very long time ago. I thought it was HBO series, it looks like it is with its excessive sex and violence but in fact its on Cinemax. I tried and failed to watch it online so I got it for my birthday. Best present! A criminal, Lucas is released from prison after serving 15 years after he stole diamonds from his crime boss. In fact he was covering for the daughter of his boss, who he was in love with. He goes looking for her and finds her in, yes you've guessed it, small town Banshee. This small town also happens to be next a large Dutch Amish community. On his first night on town he gets in trouble with a couple local idiots, this results in the death of the new Sheriff in town. Luckily, he doesn't know a soul there, so Lucas takes on his identity and lets just say it all kicks off from there. Again, its brilliantly made. Not exactly a large cast but enough to push the main story lines on as well as the minor ones in each episode. Also, the cast is largely made up of 'oh thats guy/girl from that thing'. But to honest, it doesn't matter, they'll all watchable. Had me on the edge of my seat. I am literally dying for the second season to come on on DVD.

On Cinemax in US, in the UK, season 1 is on DVD.


No comments:

Post a Comment