Thursday 14 November 2013

The Pumpkin Post

I had hoped to get this post out before November but alas, time is not on my side.

Before I started my new job I wanted to make a pumpkin pie and I did. Tah-dah!


Just like my previous pumpkin related baking post, this pumpkin pie is gluten and wheat free!

I should point out that this pie took nearly three hours to make, mostly
because there were several parts to the process. The book said 40 minutes prep time, including chilling, not true.






I admit I needed some help with the pastry part as I had never made wheat free pastry before and with most gluten and wheat free foods, they usually fall apart quickly. After actually making the dough, chilling the dough, rolling out the dough, I needed help getting it in the pie dish. I had wanted to make the pumpkin pie before I made the cake but the pie needed prior planning hence the switch. I also really wanted to use my pie dish again. I hadn't made use of it since Uni. All through making the pie I kept saying 'I don't remember making pie to be this difficult.' While the pastry was in the tiny oven, (main one is broken, Christmas is going to be interesting) I had to cut up the pumpkin and steamed it.

Then I skipped photographs for the blending part, there was difficulty once more as the pumpkin was not as soft as it should have been. So here we are, the mixture is on the pie, or I should say the filling is in the pie, ready for the oven.


 

This is a nice before and after shot. When it came out, I was slightly worried as it was a tad wobbly and that meant my Dad would most probably refuse to try it, which he did do. Not forgiven him as it did takes hours to make.

When I finally tried it, it was delicious. Not as good as the pumpkin cake (I have dreams about it) but still very good, if I do say so myself. I might not be able to cook, but I can bake at least.

I think it tasted nicer after being in the fridge although the recipe says for it to be served hot.

I think Ned the Pie-maker (Pushing Daises) would be proud of me. 

Unlike the cake where I used pureed pumpkin, I used fresh pumpkin, meaning two things. First I was nostalgic as it reminded me of the pumpkin carving Halloweens as Uni, plus I think I got pretty attached to this pumpkin (excuse how terrible I look, very tiring process). Secondly, it meant the left over pumpkin would be in my dinner. Mmmmmm pumpkin as a veg tastes so good, it doesn't feel like I'm eating vegetables  but I am.


 I am aiming to work through the gluten free baking book, there are already some amazing looking recipes I have picked out for Christmas time. Hopefully those will be a piece of cake compared to this slice of pie.


No comments:

Post a Comment