Wednesday 2 September 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Teachers

Looking through all sorts of films related to teachers, theyre usually about three things; bad teachers, inspiring teacher who go against the establishment and teachers who have affairs, either with students or affiars in general. Otherwise teachers appear as side characters in other films. I seemed to have picked one from each of the common plotlines. Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.


1. Bad Teacher
I wasn't keen on the trailer, I though it was a just a run of the mill ridiculous story with Cameron Diaz attempting comedy from a different angle. I love this film, I thought it was ridiculous and the lead character is a terrible person who is punished but turns it all around to be awesome and I thought a lot more of Diaz after this film. I know the film's success inspired a TV series, which I also liked and I think it was given a bad wrap and more of chance, it had a great cast. But oh well, at least the film still stands.

2. Election

I am quite a fan of Tom Perrotta, I knew the film was based on his novel of the same name. Insufferable and overachieving Tracey Flick, Reese Witherspoon on top form, ruins the life of run down average teacher, Jim McAllister, Matthew Broderick playing a complete opposite to Ferris. Flick is one of the most annoying characters in film and even though McAllister made mistakes you desparately want Flick to drop in a hole somewhere, but she doesn't, that the most irritatin thing about it all.

3. Mona Lisa Smile
This was another film I turned my nose up at, at first. I watched while at Uni, looking for something light and I really enjoyed it. The fact that it was period drama about a teacher at womens college and she inspires her students in different ways. It's uplifting and great to see women taking the inspirational forefront. There are also some crazy notions of what women were expected to do in the 50s, really ridiculous. The race scene for instance.

13 comments:

  1. I didn't expect to enjoy Bad Teacher, it was funny! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen Bad Teacher. Not my favorite flick, but it definitely had its moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! I too, didn't expect to like Bad Teacher so much :)
    Election has been on my radar for a while now, I need to give it a go soon.
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pick Flick! Election!! What a brilliant satire that is Broderick is very good in it but Reese Witherspoon is fantastic in her deranged ambition. Great pick.


    I haven't seen the other two, I can't abide Diaz and Julia Roberts in serious mode I find dreary with the exception of Steel Magnolias. But the films fit the theme very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad Teacher was amusing enough, I liked the idea of it for sure. I love that you included Mona Lisa Smile. I never would've thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Glad to see I'm not the only one who judged before watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Election is brilliant - would recommend this over the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! Definitely give it a watch - but be prepared to be irritated by Flick - but that is what she there for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seemed like an over looked film in the 'inspiring teacher' category maybe because of the cast? It's a character film but there are quite a few well knowns in there. It's better than I expected though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! She is deranged and mean - her reasoning for her actions is bizarre! I thought the same about both actresses but these film are an exception to that rule, I say, give them a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bad Teacher is pretty funny. It actually gets a lot of things about teaching right, in a way over-the-top sort of way. Election is one of my all-time favorite movies. I used it on Movies Set in a High School. Can't say that I've seen Mona Lisa Smile. Never thought it would appeal to me. But given the cast, I definitely may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats what I like about Bad Teacher, she says the things I wish I could say. Election, for me, was surprise find. I kept seeing it mega cheap and always walked past but then one day I thought what the hell. Great film, great characters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Election I like but haven't seen in a long time.
    Mona Lisa Smile was an ok film for me. As far as movie about inspiring teachers go, it wasn't the best but yes it has an interesting look at women's education and women's expected role in that period.

    ReplyDelete